Monday, January 19, 2009

Teacher’s Speak : Guru-cool


Excerpts from an exclusive interview with Prof Alok Gupta 
Favorite Color
Red
Favorite Holiday Spot
Goa
Favorite movie
Amitabh Bachchans movies
One thing you would like to change in your life
I have never been abroad. I wish to go abroad once.
One thing that you would never change
I would never leave India. (Laughs)

CY: Hello Sir. Tell us something about time before you started                                                            to teach. AG: Well. I have done my B.Tech, M.Tech and PhD all from  IIT Kanpur. Also I have worked as research engineer in IIT Bombay and have worked for IOCL for a brief period of time.
CY: What kind of student were you?
AG: I was very sincere in my studies, used to attend all classes. I was an average student with CGPA around 8. I participated in sports but in cultural I was not that involved.
CY: When did you join this college and what difference do you find among the students of now and then? AG: I joined this college in August 1990. That time this college was under construction. We dint have any labs here and classes took place in various places. I remember taking students to IIT Delhi for lab classes. I and my wife have accompanied students on their industrial trips. There was a society called Chemrecs, Chemical Recreational Society, which used to bring out a newsletter called Chemical times just like you people and the faculty contributed articles in it. Well, students are same only environment has changed.
CY: Sir, how important is industrial visits and interaction with industry.
AG: We need good funding for industrial visits. And interaction with industry is important for placements but before placements and industrial visits the fundamentals should be clear.
CY: You have been a part of industry and you have been teaching for 19 years. Which would you consider better?
AG: Definitely teaching. I learnt a lot. Teaching is a respected profession in society and is much more liberating than the confined 9 to 5 jobs of the industry.
CY: In a student’s growth graph from first year to when he finally passes out, what is the teacher’s contribution?
AG: You know they say 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration and I think the same is applicable everywhere.
CY: What would be the incident that you would remember forever?
AG: Not any particular incident but yes my years in IIT Kanpur were my golden years. We had something called Class of 77, it was a magazine. And we enjoyed a lot in our undergraduate. Our rapport with teachers was excellent and yes that is what I will remember forever.
CY: Sir, How would you like the students to perceive you?
AG: I am an old man now. I am no longer in my 30s or 40s. I am in my fifties and my energy is all exhausted. (Smiles) Students should respect their teachers and the young teachers of the department should take the extra initiative.
CY: Sir, any hidden talents??
AG: (Laughs) No, nothing as such. But yes I help my wife in cooking. Nothing like a great cook, but yes I help in cooking.
CY: And hobbies?
AG: I read general books and help my kids in their studies.
CY: Your message to the students.
AG: Students should be sincere, dedicated, aim higher and think big.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment